Thursday, January 24, 2008

Skiing!

It was time for us to go skiing again. We haven't been since '06 and I was itching to get out there. Plus, the kids really wanted to go. We headed out on Monday and Tuesday - holidays already, so the kids didn't miss any school. Tom didn't go with us. Mainly because he doesn't ski. The last time he did was probably 13 years ago and he was hilarious! He also has to work. Remember busy season? We're in the thick of it.

So, we started driving bright and early on Monday morn. I think it was 11 degrees when we started. At one point on the drive, the car thermometer read 2 degrees! Here I am throwing my kids out onto a frozen tundra - what was I thinking???? Anyway, we got to the slopes, signed the kids up for lessons and I headed out into the freezing weather. Thank goodness it was a gorgeous day and there was no wind. I'm not a wind kind of person. Ended up being one of the best days to ski. The crowds weren't too bad, either. I picked up the kids midday and we went out together. The green trails were nice and long. The kids have really picked up on skiing. Clare is super - knows how to turn and keep control. Daniel is just a maniac, but he tends to maintain control as well. He was scaring Clare and me by heading down the slopes at break neck speed.

Tuesday was a little different. It was snowing and windy, but not as cold. Still, it was windy. Daniel took a 1/2 day lesson and Clare and I headed out to ski a little together. Not the best conditions. On one section of the mountain it was so windy that the snow felt like little needles on your face. Clare also doesn't weigh enough and the wind was slowing her down. So much for that section of the mountain. After some nice hot chocolate, we headed to some blue trails. Clare did great!! Daniel joined us on the blues after his lesson was over. They both showed their inner daredevil - I had a tough time keeping up with them! :) I am so thrilled that we can now all ski together! I have a feeling they're going to want to do the black diamonds next time! Look for me to be in a full body cast!
The view from our hotel room was fantastic!!
Vegging out after a long day of skiing. We went to play in the pool and hot tub after watching a little TV.

No comments: