Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Santorini, Greece, 7/14/13


I think I was most excited about this stop on our trip (Clare was, too!  We had both read "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" - Santorini is part of it.)

The day started out just beautifully - and it wasn't going to be too hot - maybe 80 for a high.  I had set up taxi transfers from Fira (the port city) to Oia (pronounced EEA) and back before we left for the cruise.  We were to meet with the driver at 8 a.m., but had to catch the tender to shore then ride up the cable car to the top of the caldera where the town is located.  (We could have taken a donkey ride up, but ...)  Needless to say, we had to get the kids up pretty early in order to get breakfast.

After riding the cable car up, we met with the driver who took us to Oia on some pretty narrow and winding roads.  It's very interesting to see the other side of Santorini.  I've only seen the cliff/caldera side of the island in pictures, however, the other side is quite flat.

Sunrise over Santorini. 

Looking up at Fira from the bay.

The view from the cable car.
See the donkeys?  I think we beat them.



Watch out, Clare!  Here come the donkeys!


Oia is absolutely beautiful.  It's the town you always see in pictures (with the blue domed churches and white-washed buildings.)  We went down the 241 (huge) steps to Amoudi Bay below Oia to go swimming.

The view on our way down to Amoudi Bay.

Amoudi Bay
I had heard about a spot you could go and swim that is apparently around the corner from one of the restaurants on the bay. Unfortunately, when we got to the bottom we saw a sign next to the path to the swimming spot that said, "STOP! Warning - falling rocks!"  Do you know my husband?  He's one of the most cautious people I know.  Anyway, he was ready to go somewhere else.  I wanted to see what the locals said, so I asked a couple of people that were working here.  Both said it was no problem to swim there and that it was "the best."  So.... we went.  Yep, we walked along a little path (scary in places) to this spot where we could go swimming to a little island that had an old small church.




The kids and Tom had a great time.  I'm not the most confident swimmer, so I wasn't in very long.  There was a ledge on the island where it looked like you might be able to jump off.  Tom didn't let the kids jump (have you met my husband, the most cautious man alive?)  When Clare saw other people jump off this ledge (from Oia - up the 241 stairs) she let us know about her disappointment - several times.  Anyway, the swimming was good and the kids can say they've been swimming in the Aegean Sea.





After all the swimming lessons and practices, they doggie paddle over to the island.  LOL!
Whoa!  It's a little cold!
 
Clare checking out the ledge - she really wanted to jump off.
Selfie.  :)
I really didn't like trying to get back.
Looking up at Oia from the bay. 
Tom's new friend.
Ain't he cute?? 
Tom was starting to attract the canines - see the other doggy?  :)
After swimming, we looked at the menus of the restaurants at Amoudi Bay - lobster spaghetti for 90 Euros????  The prices were ridiculous (and Tom wanted a gyro), so we decided to go back up to Oia.  Our first choice was to get a taxi (who really wants to walk up 241 HUGE steps??)  Wouldn't you know, but the taxi phone line was busy (that's what happens when about 4000 people arrive at the same time.)  We decided to walk up the 241 HUGE steps (seriously, the distance from one step to the next was at least 4 feet.)  Clare was NOT happy.  I stuck with her and we took our time.


Why are you making me climb these stairs???


At the top, we had a disagreement about where to eat (surprisingly, gyros are not common in Greece.)  We finally ended up at a pretty good restaurant - according to Clare, as long as it has tzatziki she's good.  For appetizers, we had tzatziki (of course), baked feta wrapped in phillo dough and drizzled with honey (OMG - so yummy!), and a Greek salad with famous Santorini cherry tomatoes.  For the entree, I had giant grilled prawns - sorry no picture.  They were seriously GIANT!  The other three had greek pizza (Clare ended up not liking it because of all the onions - Tom thought it was good, Daniel was, "Eh.")  Thank goodness for the tzatziki and feta!

We really do love each other.  :)
The amazing view from the restaurant.

Greek beer!

We wandered the streets/shops of Oia - Clare and I loved it, Tom and Daniel not so much. It was crowded and the people from the other ship in the harbor were Russian (we think) and not very hospitable.  Throughout our time in Oia, I kept looking for "the picture" that you always see in Santorini pictures.  I FINALLY found it when we had only ten minutes before we were to meet the taxi.  Yay!  Soooo beautiful.



Maybe we could stay at that hotel with the pool??
Just a little baklava left.  You can't have any.
I love baklava.  :)


The picture we've been waiting for!
BEAUTIFUL Clare!! (Nice view, too!)

Once we arrived in Fira, Tom and Daniel decided to go back to the ship.  No shopping for them.  Clare wanted to find free WiFi and I wanted to shop.  We couldn't find any WiFi without sitting down to eat or drink something, so we shopped.  There is mostly touristy souvenir shops, but I did find a nice sweater and scarf.  Clare found some things for friends.

All aboard time was 4:15 p.m.  At 3:30, Clare and I decided we needed to get in line for the cable car down the cliff.  No way, Jose!  The line was a mile long (and the sun was HOT.)  We decided to walk down, but once we reached the donkey stand we decided to take a donkey down (same price as the cable car and I thought it would be fun.)  Hahaha!  You should have seen us!  My donkey was tied to Clare's donkey's saddle and kept going up to her side.  This meant my foot was right next to the donkey's butt.  I kept having to hold my foot up in order to avoid having the donkey do its business on my foot!  (BTW, donkey poop is EVERYWHERE on the steps in Fira and in Oia.)  Also, when we made turns, my donkey kept going right next to the wall - I had to kick hard at the wall to keep from getting scratched up.  Both Clare and I also had to lean in when the donkeys were taking turns - we were afraid we'd fall off and go head first down the cliff.  I'm still laughing about it all!  What an experience!!

Here we go!!


Isn't this a gorgeous picture??  Clare is so pretty.  Our ship is the one on the right.  BTW, notice the Greek man leading the donkeys?  He talked on his cell phone the ENTIRE way down!!  Distracted driving?
Because of the long tender line, we didn't get back on the ship until at least 4:30 p.m. - and Tom was freaking out (well, maybe not "freaking" out - just a bit concerned.)  Ha!  I love doing that to him.  
It was a wonderful day in Santorini.  One day I want to go back and stay in one of the cliffside hotels that have an infinity pool and all the amenities. They look so amazing.

We had a formal night at dinner tonight.  Don't we all look snazzy?


Love these kids!
But not when they look like this.  ;) 
Tom said his eyes were really dry.  
Tomorrow is a day at sea.  Yay!  We need the rest!  We're exhausted!


No comments: