Back to Cannes... The ship pulled into port around 9 a.m. I had made the decision not to do an excursion and have a lazy day in Cannes. We wanted to get out early in order to have breakfast in a French cafe, so we snuck into the tender line and made it to shore by 9:30 a.m. By 10, we had a lovely croissant and a nice cup of cappuccino in our bellies. :)
The walk up to Le Suquet took us through some winding narrow streets. It is a beautiful part of town. The views from the top were fantastic. Clare said she wanted to buy a house here. Me too.
We decided to head down and make our way to the film festival area. On our way there, we walked through a pedestrian street with lots of eclectic little shops. My favorite was the formagerie - the cheese shop. I didn't buy anything, but it was fun to look (and smell.) :) Clare and Daniel's favorite was the patisserie - the macaroon store. We definitely bought something there!
It was already pretty warm and humid out, so we started to walk up to the top of Le Suquet (the old town) where there is an old castle. On the way, we stopped by a farmer's market. WOW! Why can't Winchester have a place like this?? You wouldn't believe all of the items for sale - flowers, produce, meat (including salami's and sausages), olive oil, cheese, etc. The artichokes were HUGE! As we walked through, we were offered samples of salami, cheese (oh, the cheese), and olive tapanade. Yum!
We decided to head down and make our way to the film festival area. On our way there, we walked through a pedestrian street with lots of eclectic little shops. My favorite was the formagerie - the cheese shop. I didn't buy anything, but it was fun to look (and smell.) :) Clare and Daniel's favorite was the patisserie - the macaroon store. We definitely bought something there!
As we were walking along, we saw a bunch of little girls in a salon sticking their feet in what looked like aquariums with little fish. Clare and Daniel were fascinated, so we (me, too) decided to do this. The fish are supposed to eat the dead skin off your feet. We only did it for 10 minutes - my feet would need at least an hour! Clare has this thing about fish biting her, so she wasn't thrilled about it (even though she was the first to want to do it!)
At the Cannes Film Festival building, we wanted to see the handprints in the sidewalk (Julie Andrews, Meg Ryan, Angelina Jolie, etc.) We didn't go into the theater or museum. It was just neat to say we'd been there. The kids had fun sticking their faces into the life-size pictures (without their faces - can't remember what these are called.) The funniest was Daniel as Drew Barrymore in Charlie's Angels.
We ate our macaroons in a nearby park (next to the beach) and made plans for the rest of the day.
We each got a sandwich to go at one of the shops we'd already seen and aimed to have a picnic on the beach. Tom, Daniel, and I got baguette sandwiches and Clare got a panini. They were soooo good! Mine had a couple of big chunks of brie with tomatoes, lettuce, vinegar and oil. Real French brie on a real French baguette. Seriously, there is nothing so good. :) I don't think any of the sandwiches made it to the beach - we all ate along the way - they were that good. Tom said they could have put poop on the bread and he would have eaten it. Ha!
At the Cannes Film Festival building, we wanted to see the handprints in the sidewalk (Julie Andrews, Meg Ryan, Angelina Jolie, etc.) We didn't go into the theater or museum. It was just neat to say we'd been there. The kids had fun sticking their faces into the life-size pictures (without their faces - can't remember what these are called.) The funniest was Daniel as Drew Barrymore in Charlie's Angels.
We each got a sandwich to go at one of the shops we'd already seen and aimed to have a picnic on the beach. Tom, Daniel, and I got baguette sandwiches and Clare got a panini. They were soooo good! Mine had a couple of big chunks of brie with tomatoes, lettuce, vinegar and oil. Real French brie on a real French baguette. Seriously, there is nothing so good. :) I don't think any of the sandwiches made it to the beach - we all ate along the way - they were that good. Tom said they could have put poop on the bread and he would have eaten it. Ha!
By the time we got to the beach I was done with the heat and sun. I wanted to sit out on a restaurant patio and have a nice glass of wine while the rest of the crew went swimming. Unfortunately, Daniel forgot the jammer he normally wears under his suit (in case it falls off), so they went back to the ship to change. I stayed, thinking I'd start that glass. Nope, not allowed. These restaurants want you to eat lunch, too. They don't allow you to just have a glass of wine. I was not happy. When Tom and the kids got back, all I wanted to do was go lie down and take a nap. They stayed and I left. Funny thing is, I could see the kids hanging out on the floating dock near the beach with my binoculars on our balcony. Clare thought that was creepy.
Even with the glitches at the end, the day was good. The kids had fun swimming. It wasn't too involved like the next two days were going to be.
Dinner onboard tonight was good. I love the pictures we take. :)
Dinner onboard tonight was good. I love the pictures we take. :)
Daniel ate TWO steak entrees tonight. Tom timed him on the second plate - 2 minutes and 12 seconds. Hmm... Did I actually encourage this race??
Dessert - cheesecake. ;-)
Goodbye, Cannes! Tomorrow is Florence!











No comments:
Post a Comment