Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Marathoners!

Back in May, I decided, with much encouragement from my pal Katie, that I would run in the Marine Corps Marathon. I've always wanted to run a marathon before I turned 40 (not there yet!!) So, I started some serious training in June and took off. Tom would run some with me, particularly during the week. Then he ran a few long runs on the weekend. He decided, why not run a marathon since he was doing all the training? So, he looked into some races, but they didn't work out. In the end, one of the ladies I occasionally run with was injured and couldn't continue to train for the marathon. She sold her bib number to Tom and VOILA! He's running in the marathon with me! We have had a great time training together -- especially on the long runs. I think 13, 14, 16, 18 and 20 were particularly memorable for us. The aches and pains and blisters help to remind us that we aren't as young as we used to be. It is a blessing to be able to run as far as we have, though.

Marathon day was glorious. The temperature was absolutely perfect - in the 60s, light wind, sunny, and not too much humidity. We got into a groove at about 11 minutes per mile, not fast, comfortable enough to be able to talk the entire time. We decided, though, that we didn't need to talk since there were so many conversations around us and people to look at on the sidelines. We really did well. Tom was wearing an orange Hokies shirt that garnered many shouts of encouragement from the crowds. It was wonderful. I didn't really feel poorly until around mile 24 when I think I was dehydrated. They also tease you at the end by taking you past the finish line for about a 1/2 mile then back. Finally, you have to run up a very steep hill to the finish line. Honestly, I started to cry after crossing the line. What an accomplishment!!

Today, day 3 post race, I'm still a bit sore. My thighs are the worst. It's very difficult to go up and down stairs - especially down. Will I run another marathon. I'm thinking about it -- seriously! I don't know if I could do it without Tom, though. He was truly my inspiration and a great training partner. We may do a 1/2 marathon in the Spring. 13.1 is nothing! :)





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on completing the marathon! What was your time?

katie k-h said...

I'm such a dork...I got a little teary-eyed reading this entry!

It's just such an amazing experience and I'm so happy for you and Tom!!

Love Tom's VT shirt. You guys are the CUTEST.

When are we running??? Let's set a date.

Love,

katie