Friday, February 15, 2013

Pet Peeve

I've been working as a travel agent for about 1 1/2 years now and really love it.  It's a great job for someone who loves planning travel (me) and having a lot of flexibility (something I need with a busy household.)  However, there are a couple of things I don't like about this job.  One, people expect me to be at their beck and call 24/7.  I don't mind most of the time, but don't call me on a Friday at 5 p.m. and expect me to figure out how much a trip to Europe will cost by Saturday morning.  This doesn't happen much and most people are very understanding when I say I can't get back to them until Monday because I will be at a swim meet or volleyball tournament all weekend.

My biggest pet peeve, though, is when people (friends, usually) call and ask me to look up a vacation for them - for example, a weeklong trip to the Bahamas.  They give me all the details, budget, etc., and I go at it for a few hours looking up the best itinerary for them.  When I give them my results to my research, they say, "Thanks!  I'll let you know what hubby says!" and I never hear from them again.  Grrrr!  I really do need to get a backbone and charge the $50 research fee every agent I know says I need to charge.  This is not an extra charge, just a fee that will go towards the booking once you book.  It keeps deal searchers away.  I'm not the one to look for the deals (though I am looking for the best bang for your buck!!)  I am the quality searcher.  I will make sure everything is covered for your vacation and be there if anything goes wrong.



Enough of that vent!  :)  I really do love this job!!  I love living vicariously through my clients and can't wait for them to have a great time (though it does stress me out a little when they leave for their trip - I can't help praying everything will go like clockwork!)  I have learned SO MUCH!  You have no idea how much is involved in being an agent!  The biggest plus?  The people who work in this industry.  I love them!  I have met the nicest agents at the conferences and classes I've attended.  They have made the little pet peeves so much more bearable.

Check out this site:  101 Reasons to Use a Travel Agent

No comments: